Increasingly, personal data is held in digital format which increases the risk of security and privacy breaches.
As well as current legislation Data Protection Act in place more is on the way:
- Network & Information Security
- General Data Protection Legislation in May 2018
This will increase the liability for all organisations. In 2013/14 there was a 44% increase in reported data breaches in the UK.
A typical incident can include the following:
- Breach of personal data and financial information
- Damage to reputation
- Costs and expenses to investigate, stop, mitigate and remediate
- Fines and penalties
As well as data this type of policy also includes the following range of insurance cover:
- Denial of Service Attack
- Cyber Extortion
- Losses associated with hacking, virus and malware